A print of a black and white photograph of an elderly woman collecting holy water from a tap on Meath Street taken by Bill Doyle.
LMODA black and white photograph of the Theatre Royal. The main sign over the door says 'Glenn Ford in Blackboard Jungle'. It also has posters for the Dublin International Festival of Music and Arts on the side.
This is a photograph of the Theatre Royal, with its striking Art Deco facade and a Moorish-inspired interior. It was the largest cinema in Dublin, with an auditorium that housed 3,800 people. The International Festival of Music and the Arts is being advertised, and Blackboard Jungle is showing. The Royal had a resident 25-piece orchestra and its own dance troupe, the Royalettes. Judy Garland played here in 1951.
LMODColour photograph of O’Connell Street showing the GPO and Nelson’s Pillar as well as cars parked along the centre of the street taken by Colman Doyle.
This photograph shows the GPO on O’Connell Street. In 1966 the IRA blew up Nelson’s pillar, also pictured, and the Spire is now on the site that the pillar once occupied.
Colour photograph of College Green taken by Charles Cushman on 7 June 1961.
Trinity College takes up most of the background in this photo, with buses passing – College Green is still a bottleneck. The pedantic modern mind notes the absence of lane markings and traffic islands.
LMODColour photograph of a large group of cyclists on Dame Street taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODColour photograph of Dame Street showing 4 cyclists by City Hall taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODA black and white photograph of two women and a man laughing at a bar while two barmen work in the background.
LMODColour photograph of Grafton Street taken by Charles Cushman on 13 June 1961.
Grafton Street was named after Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton, the illegitimate son of Charles II. The street was developed from a country lane by the Dawson family in 1708. Today it feels like a bland British high street.
LMODColour photograph of a horse and cart on Dame Street with Christ Church in the background taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODColour photograph of the view of St. Stephen's Green showing the Dublin Mountains in the background from the Shelbourne Hotel taken by Charles Cushman on 9 June 1961.
This is the view from Charles Cushman’s bedroom in the Shelbourne Hotel on 9 June 1961. St. Stephen’s Green was marshy common-land until 1663, when Dublin Corporation enclosed the centre of the common and sold the perimeter for development. The park was walled-in in 1664, and restricted to local residents until 1877. Sir Arthur Guinness paid for it to be landscaped in 1880. There is a statue of him on the west side of the Green.
LMOD