A colour photograph of an airport bus behind a horse and carriage taken by Richard Tilbrook, September 1961.
LMODColour photograph of College Green taken by Charles Cushman on 7 June 1961.
Trinity College takes up most of the background in this photo, with buses passing – College Green is still a bottleneck. The pedantic modern mind notes the absence of lane markings and traffic islands.
LMODColour photograph of a large group of cyclists on Dame Street taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODColour photograph of Dame Street showing 4 cyclists by City Hall taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODA black and white photograph of two women and a man laughing at a bar while two barmen work in the background.
LMODA largely black and white poster for the Dublin Theatre festival with 'theatre festival' in red. The festival is dated on the poster as '10/24 September 1961'. Poster designed by Louis le Broquy.
The Dublin Theatre Festival is Europe’s oldest theatre festival, held annually since 1957. It brings major productions to Ireland, and provides a platform for local and more experimental work. This poster for the 1961 festival was designed by Louis le Brocquy.
LMODColour photograph of Grafton Street taken by Charles Cushman on 13 June 1961.
Grafton Street was named after Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton, the illegitimate son of Charles II. The street was developed from a country lane by the Dawson family in 1708. Today it feels like a bland British high street.
LMODColour photograph of a horse and cart on Dame Street with Christ Church in the background taken by Charles Cushman on 8 June 1961.
LMODColour photograph of the view of St. Stephen's Green showing the Dublin Mountains in the background from the Shelbourne Hotel taken by Charles Cushman on 9 June 1961.
This is the view from Charles Cushman’s bedroom in the Shelbourne Hotel on 9 June 1961. St. Stephen’s Green was marshy common-land until 1663, when Dublin Corporation enclosed the centre of the common and sold the perimeter for development. The park was walled-in in 1664, and restricted to local residents until 1877. Sir Arthur Guinness paid for it to be landscaped in 1880. There is a statue of him on the west side of the Green.
LMOD