IE LMOD 434
·
Item
·
Twentieth Century
Colour photograph of the view of St. Stephen's Green showing the Dublin Mountains in the background from the Shelbourne Hotel taken by Charles Cushman on 9 June 1961.
This is the view from Charles Cushman’s bedroom in the Shelbourne Hotel on 9 June 1961. St. Stephen’s Green was marshy common-land until 1663, when Dublin Corporation enclosed the centre of the common and sold the perimeter for development. The park was walled-in in 1664, and restricted to local residents until 1877. Sir Arthur Guinness paid for it to be landscaped in 1880. There is a statue of him on the west side of the Green.
LMOD